Live well, Laugh often, Love much



Wednesday 8 February 2012

Discovering Crochet

My mum was a knitter and taught me how to knit from a young age but I actually taught my Mum how to crochet!!

When I was about 8 years old my best friend at school was called Megan. We were inseparable and I spent a lot of time at her place. Her grandmother was a lovely lady and was constantly making something. One day she sat us down and showed us how to crochet a simple granny square . Ooh I was hooked (excuse the pun!) and there started my love of crochet. I have swayed back and forth between knitting and crochet through my life.


My Mum was a little intrigued and wanted to have a go so we sat down and had our first lesson. Mum being a pretty dab hand with the knitting needles quickly picked up how to wield the hook and she also alternated between the two from then on.

Crochet was a great comfort to my Mum and also my family in her last few months of life. As Mum's cancer advanced she became unable to do a lot. Her vision became impaired due to radiation side effects and she spent many hours sitting in her comfy chair...with her crocheting as company.

 She was able to crochet a simple granny square ....in fact she actually crocheted many large granny square blankets....one for each of her five children and eight grandchildren. My blanket was the last one to be finished only a few weeks before she died. It would have to be one of my most precious keepsakes fifteen years later.

These blankets were also a great comfort to my older children through their grief. Each night I would tuck them into bed wrapped in their 'Nana blankets' to keep her close and cuddly. They still use these blankets in winter and I hope that each time they do brings back that memory of her.

We crochet daily for our family, pass on as gifts or sell our creations. I don't think we realise how much history and memories we are also creating.

Anny :)

2 comments:

simplenaturalhandmade said...

Hi there a, I found my way here from my blog! I'm just getting to grips with it all, like you! I love this post which has made me resolve to make blankets for my children. I think my daughter will choose a ripple! J x

Juliab said...

Hi Anny, thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog. Glad you like my blanket. You're right, it will be a ripple next! What a lovely post about your mother and her love of crochet. I am currently trying to make blankets for other people - my Mum, my father in law (who has just undergone chemo) and my daughters. It's nice to think that they will appreciate the blankets for years to come. x