Live well, Laugh often, Love much



Wednesday 1 February 2012

Wool and living in the Sub tropics


Living in the sub tropics can be very difficult if you have a passion for wool!

One, is the difficulty finding a good local yarn store.



 Two, is the climate...the heat can make it very uncomfortable to work in unless you have fans or  air con.



 Three, is the fact that you can put a lot of work into a piece of crochet or knitting be it as simple as a scarf or as detailed as blanket and there is very little time in the year when you can comfortably wear or use it.

It is really frustrating looking at blogs from around the world and seeing all the beautiful yarns available (I am sure there are good yarn shops here but nothing with the extensive range I have seen in the southern states of Australia) So a lot of my yarn shopping is now ordered on the internet. It can be a bit hit and miss as I am a touchy feely person and the actual sensation of touching the yarn is the first thing I do in a shop. Also choosing colours on a screen can be difficult as many of you know.

Winter in Brisbane is very short and very mild. Yes it does get cold at night and as we really don't need to heat our houses a snuggle blanket is good to watch television with but really you would only have about 4 months to use it.

 So this leads to the problem I am now having...an over abundance of woolly things and really no need for any more!! So as I just can't stop this obsession I think I am either going to have to start selling my wares or lots of present giving.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve my dilemma.

Ooh I have a few tah dah moments coming!!!!

Back soon

Anny

2 comments:

Vicki @ dover and madden said...

Try Tangled Yarns in Brisbane....one of my favourites Anne.....and as far as knitting goes...I always pretend it's Winter...it works most of the time!

The Gingerbread Lady said...

Oh, Anny - I'm looking out the window at a pile of slush. Temperatures have hit 0°C for the first time in weeks (last week it was -13° to -20°C) and everyone is thrilled because it's zero degrees and the roads aren't as icy any more. So, yes, we need woolly blankets ... but if we could use fewer, that would be okay, too!
Despite the fact that we have the weather for them, I still have too many blankets and too few homes for them. I'm going to set up my Etsy store soon and try to sell a few so I can buy more yarn with an easy conscience ;-)