Live well, Laugh often, Love much



Wednesday 11 January 2012

Knitting

I will always remember as a small girl watching my Mum knit. She seemed to do it so smoothly and effortlessly. I was desperate for her to teach me and struggled with the tight tension of an anxious learner. With practise I mastered garter and stocking stitch until when I  was about 10 years old I wanted to make my first jumper!! Mum took me to our local haberdashery shop and I chose a blue variegated Patons Totem. Luckily this local shop would store your required amount and you could come in and just buy a ball or two as you progressed (we certainly weren't a wealthy family and I now realise with five kids to raise this was certainly an extravagance that my Mum found the money for). I never did finish that jumper but knitting was something my mother and I shared for all the time we had together. Mittens, scarves and jumpers were constantly on my needles in my youth all becoming more complicated as I became more experienced. I can remember finishing Uni early on Fridays and meeting my Mum for lunch on her half day. First thing we would do is spend half an hour in the Wool shop under the building she was working in. Our passion for wool was shared and Dad was always complaining about our communal stash!

My first pattern book


A jumper I made for my brother

Oh how we loved knitting.....until a friends grandma taught me how to Crochet........................

Anny

No comments: